Fasting is fun? Part 2
For part one click HERE
Monday part 2: Monday was a long, long day, and probably one of the hardest so far, most likely because it was so busy. The biggest problem I had was that I simply didn’t drink enough juice during the day, and kinda rationed myself in the evening for convenience sake. This left me feeling hungry and tired, which is a bad combination on me. It was also the first time I was hungry through the night, which was unpleasant. However, I took it as a good opportunity to remember just how blessed I am. It was probably one of the first times in my life that I was legitimately hungry, however there are millions of people who experience this and much, much worse as a daily reality. It was a great reminder.
Tuesday (day 6): Today was the first day that I seriously considered wanting to eat something. It’s mostly the smells that are getting me. A few minutes ago a beautiful aroma started wafting from my sister’s kitchen to the living room. It smelled delightful, like a culinary masterpiece, but it was just rice and beans. I’m also getting tired of my go-to juice combinations, they are just getting a little old. I think I’m going to add in broth for some variation.
Wednesday (Day 7): One week with no solid food. I feel this amazing sense of achievement while at the same point I’m kinda like, “Ok, this craziness has gone on long enough.” Days that I teach lessons are a little harder to do only juicing because I’m in the car all day and I find myself rationing my liquid intake, which isn’t good. Not getting enough to drink while fasting leaves me tired, hungry, and having a headache. I did add in broth today which was a pleasant change.
Thursday (Day 8 – add in day): This morning I was in for a rude surprise! I gained half a pound! How do you gain a half pound when you didn’t eat anything!?! But my mom came to the rescue, the broth I drank yesterday was super high in sodium, so there’s my half pound right there. Phew. I was gonna say! Regardless, today I’m going to start adding stuff back in. Breaking a fast correctly takes a little bit more thought than one might imagine. If you just jump back into heavy solid foods you can really throw your system for a loop (in a very bad way), so it’s really best to take things slow and easy. So today I’ll be adding in some brown rice, kefir (which is liquid-y yogurt), and maybe some fruits and veggies in their solid rather than liquid state.
So there it is, my week of fasting. Overall I’m really pleased with the results. Definitely feeling good, lost about a pound a day (which wasn’t really my goal in fasting, but a welcome side effect), and have an overwhelming sense of accomplishment at completing something like this. Another nice side effect is that I’m craving really healthy food. This morning I woke up and said, “I could really go for some quinoa.” Junk food doesn’t sound appealing AT ALL. So if nothing else, I’m set up to continue juicing and eating healthier than when I started. Fasting certainly isn’t easy but I’m really glad I did it.
More from my site
- The Juicing Saga part 1 You may (or perhaps may not) have noticed that there haven't been many any recipes posted in a while. Well the simple answer for that is I haven't been cooking, or even eating for a while. […]
- Tips for Juicing Newbies Whether you are simply adding some juices into your routine or going on a full fledged fast, we all start somewhere. Here are some tips I learned the hard way. 1. The most ideal way to […]
- Fasting is fun, kinda. So, I've been fasting for a bit, since Thursday to be exact. It was kind of a last minute decision, at least when I started was. I find that with this sort of thing it's easier for me just […]
- The Oil Cleansing Method – an update It all started almost 4 years ago when I got fed up with high priced beauty products that just didn't seem to work. While I never had horrible acne, like some of my friends, I also never […]
- Homemade Cinnamon Bronzer I'm as white as white can be, in many senses of the word. But the one I'm talking about now is my literal skin tone. I'm pasty. Ghostly even. Right now, at the peak of my summer tan, I'm […]
- Cornmeal Face Mask Today I wanted to share with you the second of my "what my kitchen and bathroom have in common" series. Today is a face mask/scrub that I actually just started using a few weeks ago. There […]
- Thoughts for Thursday Top o' th' mornin to ye! Although, it's more like the afternoon. Anyway, I am so pleased that today is St. Patty's Day, although I will be postponing its true celebration for another 2 1/2 […]
Trackbacks and pingbacks
No trackback or pingback available for this article.